Who we are:
Bitfocus is a rapidly growing company working to help communities use data to tackle their greatest social challenges. Our software and services help non-profit, government, and community organizations build effective response systems to homelessness, and is used in more than 75 communities, including high profile communities serving the densest populations of homelessness nationwide.
The DevOps Engineer should be self-driven and have the ability to work in a distributed team by developing and maintaining complex application and database release automation scripts. Ideal candidate should hold strong knowledge of DevOps engineering related to Continuous Integration/Delivery solutions & Platform Automation with programming background. The engineer will be responsible to design and build automated processes keeping reproducibility, auditability and traceability in view for all deliverables.
The engineering role will work closely with Developers, QA and Operations folks to ensure good quality automation is implemented on application and database migration process. A successful engineer will establish good working relationships with one or more teams, providing automation and support through the development cycle for any required changes to the build and release processes required to get a product released into test and production environments.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for automating software builds and release configurations.
- Design and implement work-flows to automate the release and upgrade process for applications in lower Test and Production environments.
- Troubleshoot build and deploy failures, and facilitate resolution
- Implement complex application and database driven automation release tasks.
- Manage continuous build, test and deploy processes.
- Maintaining and enhancing the automated continuous integration and continuous delivery environment.
- Support all pre-production and production managed environments for middleware services and applications.
- Work with cross functional, geographically distributed teams to provide 24X7 deployment support across multiple lower test and production environments.
- Own deployment problems and provide active coordination between various groups in resolving a specific issue.
- Provide assistance to DEV and QA groups to include: participating in meetings, building out environments, troubleshooting deployment/configuration related problems.
- Create system dashboards that help improve product availability.
- Evaluating and adopting new tools to improve build and release processes.
- Communicate status frequently to product teams and engineering program managers.
- Document any new process or update an existing Jira or Confluence page.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Expertise with Linux distributions and maintaining package builds.
- Expertise with strong knowledge on Source Code Management, Continuous Integration/Delivery solutions (Git/Stash, Jenkins, Maven, Artifactory and UDeploy).
- Experience in maintaining Linux based virtual machines on Test, Staging and Production environments.
- Expertise with vSphere, ESXi, and other hypervisor configurations.
- Familiarity in supporting and maintaining, scalable enterprise-class applications in public cloud (AWS/Azure) or private cloud solutions.
- Experience with container management technology (Docker is a plus or Vagrant).
- Experience with configuration management and automation tools (Chef is a plus or Puppet).
- Automate monitoring and test disaster recovery and backup functions.
- Support highly available production environments.
- Hands on experience with monitoring/data collection tools.
- Knowledge of IP networking, VPN’s, DNS, load balancing and firewalling.
- Experience in developing end-to-end build/release automation for complex solutions for large-scale enterprise systems.
- Knowledge of good coding practices towards measuring improved code quality and database concepts.
- Experience working in an Agile Scrum environment strongly desired.
- Demonstrates ability to lead technical discussions among software development engineers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
- 8+ Years of experience as a DevOps Engineer can be substituted in place of a degree
What we offer:
In addition to a smart team of dedicated and friendly colleagues, we offer the following compensation and benefits:
- Full-time employment (40 hrs a week)
- Salary: $65k - $90k DOQ
- Remote Work (requires a quiet home office environment)
- Apple iMac computer and VoIP phone provided for your home office
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plans, 401k, Paid Time Off, Sick Leave, Holidays